Saturday, March 28, 2009

Do You Think Before You Tweet?

This article in the Globe and Mail warns tweeters to be careful what they tweet about. You never know who is reading and what the consequences might be, should you tweet without thinking.

I'm new to the world of Twitter but have caught on pretty quickly. Quite frankly, I didn't understand the concept of Twitter at first but after jumping on the bandwagon, I have to say I have become addicted! I even downloaded a Twitter application called Tweetie on my iPhone. The concept of Twitter does sound silly at first but once you start, you can't stop tweeting *tweet*!

Unfortunately, I have not had much luck convincing my friends to join Twitter. They feel they already have a hard time trying to keep up with Facebook, and adding another social networking tool to their social plates will be way more than what they can handle. As a result, I have met some new tweeters. Some of them are complete strangers whose lives I'm following. Why? I don't know. Or maybe I do. Perhaps because each person has a little something in common with me. Some of my fellow tweeters are from my hometown, some have similar interests and some just have a more interesting life than I do! The privacy levels compared to Facebook are less strict. I think Facebook at least does a better job of protecting your privacy (even with their recent privacy policy brouhaha).

I personally do have a rule around how much information I disclose and I especially do not talk about work or my job. This rule applies not only to Tweeting but to blogging as well. Although the cyber world can be a great place to meet new people, it can be a scary place as well. So, I always advise folks to practice safe tweeting. Think of who is/will be reading your blog or tweets.

If you're not using Twitter or are new, here's a Newbie's Guide to Twitter to get you started. Want to follow me on Twitter? Follow Techy Girl here.

Happy Tweeting everyone!


4 comments:

  1. I never would have thought i would get into it right up until a week ago

    love your blog header btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee Nomad - Thanks for dropping by! Same here, never thought I would sign up for Twitter until I actually did. To be honest, I thought the whole idea was silly until I actually got into the whole tweeting business. Now it's just addictive lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your blog and I love it already!
    I so totally agree that you cant quite get the hang of twitter until you jump into it. I think that twitter gives me a crash course on whatever information i am looking for and keeps me updated on things when they happen and in the world of tech, things really happen fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faiza - Welcome to my blog and thank you for the kind comments! I love reading comments!

    I know I always tell myself I need to update it but then other things get in the way and blogging just falls through the cracks! Anyway, I hope to write another post soon...can't promise it will be an intelligent post but it will be some sort of ramble :D

    Again, thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete